Monday, October 11, 2010

Work in Progress!

I think that will be the story of my life - with what I have lined up ... maybe for the next 10 years! It won't be a messy story though - at last I am getting organized and can now see my way clear to find fabric, freezer paper, scissors iron and glue!

Speaking of glue - it is only in very recent years I have even used glue. I was reading Teresa's post - she lives at Fabric Therapy - she has been trying to find a way to unblock Roxanne's glue to have it flowing freely. In my tidy-up my latest bottle which is not very old nearly went in the bin - problem solved, I hope - I used a flower pin to poke down that little tube and now I'm sure if I keep the little red top on and a flower pin handy, all will be fine!

Not so sure about the Frosted Donut thread - just love it, a gorgeous fine 2-ply cotton just great for applique, convenient, too! However ... now it may just be me ... I have had a few problems. I think in the last few days I have had the cardboard spool edge come away three times on different colours - what would I have done if the thread had started to roll off? I popped a little bit of glue very close to the middle, pressed and held it with my thumb for a little while, sure hope it works. Another one, the purple, I couldn't find the start of the thread, had a little mess there for a while. I find I have to leave one of the bobbins out as they are packed in so tightly. Oh, dear - haven't I got all the trouble in the world on my shoulders, to wrap that subject up all I can say it is the nicest thread I have ever used for applique - any thoughts?
See, I can stand at the end of my sewing machine table and select the perfect piece of fabric so easily - I really don't have a lot of Kaffe though I often get teased about it. Surely I can keep this long, shallow box tidy!
Three of my favourites - for now anyhow!
Happy week!

19 Lovely People said ...:

Catsngrams said...

Wish I could get that organized. Such lovely fabrics I love the vibrant colors

Adele said...

Oh no Lurline I just bought the Frosted Donut Thread off ebay very very cheap I only hope it doesn't unravel lol.

As for thread for Applique I love the Aurifil thread but i bought the entire collection in a carry case but i don't fancy carrying the case around with me the Frosted Donut Thread will come in handy.

Love your fabrics and your applique im still onto my first block or my Roseville Album nearly finished.

Adele xx

Teresa Rawson said...

Your Stars and Sprigs border looks so good! I just got my pattern in the mail, but I am trying to be good and finish a couple of things. Well, I don't think THAT is going to last for long!! LOL I am so eager to join the fun! I'm leaning toward repro fabrics, but still considering brights...

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Thanks for the shout out!

Anonymous said...

Just ordered those threads will let you know how i go.
Lurline did you finish Green Tea and Sweet Beans quilt top? till wondering if I should order it.

Love the border you have appliqued.

cheers
Christine

cottonreel said...

I think I am a first time visitor to your post . Lovely applique and lovely flowers down your sidebar--cottonreel

Myra said...

Never heard of those threads Lurline. It must be an Australian thing...
I unplug my Roxanne's glue the same way as you... Love that stuff!
Sounds like you are organized now and set for some serious stitchings! 8-)

Jeanne said...

I've been trying to get organized forever. It's always on my 'to do' list. I love your applique! I haven't heard about the threads either. Will put it on my radar. ♥

Cardygirl said...

Hi Lurline...fun post. There is a lady in NSW who makes lovely beaded long pins designed to stop that problem with Roxanne's glue....she is Dragon fly Pins and they are lovely & work well. I can get you her contact details if you are interested.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I wish I could help you with thread but I do not applique! I just told my husband today, I have enough projects in my mind to last for years!! Love your fabircs, so bright and fun!

Anonymous said...

Luline, what a lovely display of fabbys. Perfect for some inspiration. Don't worry, you will find the perfect project and they will scream, "cut me". Petting of fabric is allowed, VBG. Your applique is just gorgeous and is coming out so very nicely.

Cheers,
Bobbie

sunporchquilts said...

Lurline, your quilts are beautiful! Can't wait to see more. Don't worry about the cardboard sides coming off - they are meant to come off when using them in a machine's bobbin case. The thread won't fall off, although I don't know how well they'll fit in the donut thing afterwards. I see you are in WA - I visited twice, about ten years ago, loved it, especially down around Margaret River. Many happy memories...

Retrogirl said...

Lurline, your work is always beautiful but this runner? OUTSTANDING!! Lovely fabrics, gorgeous points, amazing colors. I have not yet started a collection of Kaffe fabrics but it looks like a nice selection to me.

I love YLI silk thread but am pretty new to applique. Most of mine are 30s fabrics, I may have to change that as I move into brights.

Jan said...

I purchased the same threads last spring but found they often broke off at the needle after just a few inches of appliqué. I've returned to my Mettler, which I've used happily for many years. So why did I change? ;-)

Grethe said...

Great to see your 2 irons,may be I should use my old one for the glueing part??
The leaves look colourful. Brightens me up looking at Kaffe`s fabrics,yours and my own:-)
Happy Sewing!

Val said...

I just organized my sewing room. It does make a difference. I love all of your projects. I love your blog too!

Ryegirl said...

I love your work Lurline and your blog is a favourite!
I purchased the donut ring separately at the Sydney Quilt show this year and filled ordinary machine bobbins with thread. Maybe this could be an option if the originals fall apart?
I tidy my sewing room regularly but it never lasts;-)

Micki said...

You always get the best fabrics. It looks like an exciting project!
Micki

Kim said...

Try applique with silk thread.......you'll never want to go back to cotton :0).

Those colors are just beautiful in the ring though aren't they?

Happy Sewing

Gina said...

Hello Lurline
Your appliqué work in he first photo is really beautiful . I love all your fabric . You are very talented .