Wednesday, October 8, 2008

New Quilt and Think Pink Month!

Yes, I have done it ... naughty, naughty! I've started a new quilt - one from the girls at Material Obsession (see my previous Post). I love the 1930's reproduction fabrics, especially the brighter ones like the feedsacks! This quilt is a reproduction of an antique 1930's quilt and I have often thought about making it - this has inspired me as this one probably has larger petals than the original, it is fun and relaxing to do. I am going to try to hand quilt it using Perle thread and larger stitches - this will be a challenge for me as I automatically do tiny stitches - I am determined though! As you can see, I am using the freezer paper applique method - I press towards the shiny side - not for everyone, I know, but it works for me.

I know Nanette from Freda's Hive, is keen to see some contents of the book, so above is another quilt, Nanette - The 'Burbs, which was inspired by Freddie Moran and Gwen Marston. It is on my to-do list and allows for a lot of creativity as it is a recipe, not a pattern. Nanette and Daughters have a great blog and you will enjoy a little visit!
Above, just a little snippet from our current Woman's Day magazine ... as it is October, Breast Cancer Month, the magazine has done a great article "Pink Quilt Campaign"! Kathy and Sarah co-ordinated the beautiful quilt - well done for the great effort, Girls. I felt quite proud to be an Australian quilter when I read the article earlier this week - so do pop over and visit the girls and see more of the quilt!
Wow ... what a beautiful day! Take a peek at my lovely Satchmo rose - blooms galore! I should be out in the garden doing a little weeding in the beautiful sunshine - however, think I will settle for walking the puppies. Shhhh ... don't tell them, they get really excited.

Happy day everyone - hugs!

9 Lovely People said ...:

Julia said...

Love the new quilt your working on.
Your roses are beautiful, my roses still seem to be in hibernation, no flowers to speak of...
Hope this glorious weather keeps up..Hugs Julia

loulee said...

I do like the flower block, I'm going to enjoy this quilt.

Anonymous said...

I too have the Book and love it very much.

cheers
Christine

Kristie said...

I love the new quilt that you are working on! I'm not very good at doing applique! That is something that I really need to work on! Love the idea of using the 30's fabric!
Kristie

Unknown said...

I have the book too Lurline..even got it signed...looking forward to seeing your quilt come together.
Lovely Roses!!
cheers
maree

Nanette Merrill said...

Hi Lurline! What lovely things to say about me. THank you. The quilts look so pretty. I think I'll put this book on my Christmas list. Your blog is always a delight to visit. Thank you again!

em's scrapbag said...

The new quilt you are working on is going to be so beautiful. I want to make one of those someday. I made one block once for a friend that was making one. Love those 30's fabrics.

Elaine Adair said...

Since YOU found ME a few days ago, I'm here to visit! 8-)

That's going to be such a pretty quilt - so fresh and cheerful.

Are you saying you are pressing the waxy side of the freezer paper to the back of your petals, then pressing the seam allowance over? I don't 'do' applique, but there's no reason not to learn - dang it - what a hang-up some of us have over applique. It's so pretty!

Chookyblue...... said...

congrats on your quilt making the front page.......